Are you looking for ways to connect with your young baby that is both meaningful and fun? Infant massage is a great way to connect with your child while providing them many health and developmental benefits. Our infant massage courses are taught by a Loving Touch® certified infant massage instructor.
Course Instructor: Jennifer Lewis, M.S., CCC-SLP
During this 4 part class parents and caregivers will learn a variety of massage techniques to help calm and engage with their child. Parents will learn how each of the techniques and strokes can benefit the child and when to use them. While the primary focus of this course is massage parents will also learn strategies for better interaction with their child and foster communication.
While people of all ages young and old benefit from massage below are a few common infant concerns that would specifically benefit from this program.
Who benefits from infant massage?
- Children with digestive, circulatory, and gastrointestinal system challenges
Infant massage has so many benefits for young children, but below are a few benefits that you can expect after learning the infant massage techniques.
Benefits of Infant Massage:
- Increases self-esteem for child and parent
- Promotes bonding and attachment
- Increases sense of love, acceptance, respect, and trust
- For baby, improves body awareness
- Improves relaxation and release of stress
- Stimulates circulation
- Strengthens digestive, circulatory, and gastrointestinal systems, which can lead to better weight gain
- Reduces discomfort due to teething, colic, gas, and congestion
- Increases elimination, circulation, and respiration
- Improves sense of wellbeing for parents reduces stress and blood pressure and improves overall health
- Improved hormonal activity
- Improves synchrony between child and caregiver
- Improves parents ability to react to infant cues
- Increases confidence in parenting skills
- Provides time to share quality time together.
- Promotes bonding and attachment
In addition to the many physical benefits of infant massage, there are also many developmental benefits. Massage helps increase skills in each of the developmental domains. The below listed developmental domains are how early interventionist determine how children are developing.
Massage Promotes Early development
- Communication: Engages pre-speech components and emerging speech (eye gaze, listening, turn-taking, attention, etc.)
- Motor: Improves muscle tone, coordination and increases body awareness
- Socialization: Infant and caregiver engage one another, infant usually in a quiet alert state
- Cognition: Overall awareness of self and body boundaries, cause and effect, and increase attention span.
- Emotional: Stronger attachment to caregiver, more positive interactions with caregiver, and child trusts that their needs will be met.
What to Expect
Infant massage is a great way to provide your baby with a loving and positive touch. Before beginning you will want to make sure that baby is in the right mood, and that you are in a warm and quiet location. Always follow baby’s lead and stop if it becomes too stimulating.
Have your lotion or oil available at the start of the session, and watch for any sign of skin irritation. Baby has very sensitive skin and could have reactions to products with fragrances. Be sure to have fun with your baby, maintain eye contact and talk with baby during the massage.
Baby should enjoy the massage and calm, but be sure to watch their cues and learn the strokes that baby prefers.
Register Now to be notified of our next class!